NYC baptist pastor, 44, is charged with raping his 14-year-old daughter continuously over a six year period
January 16, 2019
- Matthew Gibson, 44, has been accused of sexually abusing his daughter, 14
- The abuse allegedly began in 2012, shortly after the death of the victim’s mom
- The victim’s twin brother was present at the church during the repeated abuse
- Gibson’s father is the bishop at the Progressive Baptist Church, in Brooklyn
- The victim’s guardian says she tried to revoke Gibson’s visitation rights before
The pastor of a New York City baptist church has been charged with the sexual abuse and rape of his own young daughter over six years.
Son of the bishop at the Progressive Baptist Church of Brownsville in Brooklyn, Matthew Gibson was arrested on Thursday and accused of repeatedly sexually assaulting his now 14-year-old daughter.
The abuse is alleged to have been taking place on the church’s grounds since 2012, shortly after the victim’s mother died.
‘He should rot in hell,’ said the victim’s grandmother, Josephine Maples. ‘How can a father do this?’
Myia Maples, the victim’s sister-in-law, says the victim confided in her about the abuse last week, blurting it out in a moment of emotion.
Maples and her husband have had full custody of the victim and her twin brother for seven years, with Gibson only having bi-weekly weekend visitation rights.
The victim’s twin brother says he was present at the church when the assaults were taking place, but had no idea what was going on.
‘He would make me play on the drums, and when it was happening, I wouldn’t be nowhere around,’ he said in an interview with NBC New York.
‘I feel like, in the moment, I let my sister down.’
Gibson, 44, was arrested on January 10 and charged with criminal sexual abuse and forcible touching of a female victim, aged between nine and 14.
Comments are closed.